Ear wax is an important substance produced by your ears to protect them. In most cases, the ears are self-cleaning and excess ear wax will naturally make its way out of the ear canal. However, sometimes wax can build up in the ear and cause blockages, resulting in discomfort and hearing difficulties. If you have a stubborn blockage of wax, it’s beneficial to book an appointment with an audiologist to remove the wax.
Here at The Hearing Hub, our audiologists are trained in all methods of ear wax removal. We typically use microsuction to remove wax build-up, however, depending on the consistency of the wax, ear syringing may be required. If you need some assistance with ear wax blockages in Hainault, our Ilford clinic is the best to contact.
What Causes Stubborn Ear Wax Blockages?
Several factors contribute to ear wax blockages. Firstly, some people naturally produce more ear wax than others, increasing the likelihood of stubborn build-ups. Additionally, the regular use of headphones, ear plugs or hearing aids can inadvertently push ear wax deeper into your ear canal, potentially leading to blockages.
The shape of the ear canal can also impact how easily wax can naturally move out of the ear. Sometimes, the shape causes ear wax to become trapped and start to build up. If you attempt to remove ear wax at home with cotton buds or other small objects, this can have the opposite effect. This ‘ear cleaning’ will push ear wax deeper inside rather than safely removing it.
The Ear Syringing Procedure
Ear syringing, also known as ear irrigation, is a safe and effective method for removing stubborn ear wax blockages. Here’s how the procedure typically works;
- Preparation – A highly trained audiologist will examine your ears using a microscope to assess the extent of the ear wax build-up. They will check whether ear syringing will be suitable for your ears and the type of blockage.
- Warm Water – Warm water is gently pumped into the ear canal using specialised equipment. The warm water helps to soften and loosen the ear wax to flush it out of the ear canal. Ear syringing usually takes only a few minutes for each ear.
- Gentle Pressure – The water is pumped at a controlled and gentle pressure, which dislodges the ear wax blockage. While you may feel some discomfort in your ear, the procedure is generally painless.
- Drainage – The loosened ear wax and water are collected in a basin, leaving the ear canal clean and clear. Following the procedure, you will likely notice a significant improvement in any symptoms you are experiencing.
The Benefits of Ear Syringing
When removing stubborn ear wax blockages, ear syringing offers several benefits;
- Safe and Effective – When performed by a trained professional, ear syringing is a safe and efficient method for ear wax removal.
- Immediate Relief – Many people experience immediate relief from symptoms such as earache and tinnitus after the procedure.
- Improved Hearing – Clearing ear wax blockages often results in improved hearing, which can significantly enhance your quality of life.
- Minimally Invasive – Unlike other methods, ear syringing is minimally invasive and doesn’t involve the use of sharp instruments that could damage the ear canal.
It’s important to note that ear syringing might not be suitable for everyone. People with certain ear conditions, ear infections or a history of ear surgery should consult with an audiologist to determine the best ear wax removal options for them.
Book an Appointment for Ear Syringing in Ilford
Stubborn ear wax blockages can be uncomfortable and affect your hearing. Ear syringing is an effective method for removing the build-up of wax, providing immediate relief. If you’re experiencing ear wax-related issues, contact our team at The Hearing Hub today. We can provide you with the guidance you need for ear wax removal to ensure your ears remain healthy and free from complications.
You can book an appointment for ear syringing in Ilford at our local clinic by calling us on 0330 111 9994. You can also use our convenient online booking system to find a date and time that works for your schedule. We charge £65 for the cleaning of both ears and can remove any stubborn blockages safely. Generally, an appointment will last between 10 – 30 minutes and we will take things at your pace, ensuring you are comfortable throughout.